Friday, May 6, 2016

I woke up this morning to the sound of a rock being banged against an empty metal gas cylinder … time to wake up … and fly to Namche!

Today the Madison Mountaineering team traveled by helicopter to Namche Bazzar, which is about 5,000 feet below base camp.  We will spend 4 or 5 nights here in order to let our bodies recover from living at high altitude for the past month.  The idea is that our bodies will be less stressed at 12,000 feet, our appetites will soar, and our sore muscles will recover, putting us in the best possible position for a successful summit.  

Loading the heli at base camp
Photo:  Lisa White

As soon as I exited the helicopter in Namche, the thick air hit my lungs, even though I’m at 12,000 feet, it feels luxurious!

The risk of leaving base camp, where we are relatively segregated, is that we will catch a cold or bug in the busy tourist village of Namche.  So, I am taking hand sanitizer everywhere that I go, not shaking hands with anyone, and breathing through a buff.  Fingers crossed that it all works!


Namche Bazzar
Photo:  Lisa White






Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment