Monday, April 25, 2016

April 21 camp 1 19,500 feet 

My oxygen saturation yesterday afternoon, after I had been at camp 1 (19,600) feet was 75 percent.  This afternoon it is 79 percent, a welcome improvement, but a saturation that low would earn me a trip to the Emergency Department if I were at home.  I am always amazed by what our bodies can endure.  Everything at altitude is more difficult.  I loose my breath while drinking out of a water bottle, it takes extra effort just to put my boots on.  And I have 9,500 feet to go!   Needless to say, most of my time at the higher camps is spent relaxing in the tent, letting my body adjust to the new altitude by building more red blood cells, sleeping, reading, maybe playing cards if enough people have the energy. 

The Madison Mountaineering team did spend a few hours this morning checking out the route to camp 2, we walked about a quarter of the way there - the most challenging part as the terrain is heavily crevassed and undulating and includes a few short, steep climbs and ladder crossings.  We'll spend the rest of the day relaxing and then will move to camp 2 tomorrow!

Camp 1
Photo:  Stuart Erskine

No comments:

Post a Comment