Tuesday, April 12, 2016

I’ve arrived at Everest Base Camp!!  It would not be possible for me to make the 40 mile journey from Lukla to EBC without the support of local porters, yaks, and dzos.  Well, maybe it would be possible, but it would take a whole lot longer and I would be a lot less happy!

I am always a little torn about using porters and pack animals to carry my gear and supplies because part of me feels like it should be my responsibility.  But, I also realize that supporting Himalayan climbers and trekkers provides a major boost to the Nepalese economy.  In the 1950s, one-third of the Nepalese workforce was dedicated to portering.  I am always humbled by the strength of the porters in the Himalaya, who are about the same stature as me and are able to carry incredibly heavy loads over precarious terrain; usually wearing sparse footwear.

Porters carrying heavy loads to Everest Base Camp
Photo:  Lisa White

The team will spend the rest of the day getting settled into our accommodations at EBC.  In addition to our personal sleeping tents, our camp includes a communications tent, dining tent, cooking tent, shower tent, toilet tents, plus tents and facilities for our Sherpa team.  

View of camp
Photo:  Stuart Erskine


Now the fun begins!!  

2 comments:

  1. Do you have a summit date? I hope all goes well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a summit date? I hope all goes well!!!

    ReplyDelete