Monday, April 18, 2016

Today was a rest day for all of base camp.  To show respect and remembrance for the 16 Sherpa who died in an avalanche when a serac fell off of Everest's west shoulder two years ago today.

For me, today was also an opportunity to reflect on the seriousness of this endeavor and to appreciate the Sherpa who make it possible for me to safely climb Everest.  Mountains are fickle and unyielding, and don’t care if I have spent months preparing to climb them.  They are in control, and I feel grateful everyday that I am able to safely climb.  I also realize that I would not be able to climb Everest without the Sherpa who graciously support me and the rest of my team.  Without fail, every Sherpa that I have climbed with is adept, unbelievably strong and respectful of the mountain.  And also better at card games than they admit ;)

This afternoon the team prepared loads for our move to camp 1 on the 20th.  The whole camp is excited and ready to begin climbing!  

Preparing loads to carry to camp 1
Photo:  Lisa White


No comments:

Post a Comment