Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Namche Bazaar

I've safely arrived at Namche Bazaar!  Not only is Namche the trading hub of the Khumbu region; it also serves as the gateway to the Himalaya as most climbers and trekkers heading to Everest base camp pass through it.  To support the tourism business, the local Sherpa people own lodges, shops, and tea houses that cater to climbers and trekkers.  In Namche you can drink a beer at an Irish pub and buy nearly everything necessary to outfit an expedition. 


Pano or Namche Bazaar


This is my first visit to Namche, and the narrow, cobbled streets seem busy to me, but one shop owner estimated 50% fewer customers this year, a sign that people are waiting to see what transpires during the 2016 Everest climbing season.  Although it is unfortunate for the people making a living in the Khumbu, I’m happy to know that there will be fewer climbers on the mountain this year.  

The next week is all about acclimatization as we slowly make our way from our current elevation of 11,300 feet to 17,500 feet at base camp.  To aid in that process, today we hiked to the Everest View Hotel where I got my first view of Everest.  It still seems impossibly massive and really far away.  

Mt. Everest from Everest View Hotel
  


Tomorrow we will leave the luxuries of hot showers, bakeries and electric blankets and trek to the village of Debuche, which is about 10 miles up the valley.  So far I’m feeling good an am really excited to be starting this adventure!

2 comments:

  1. What an adventure Lisa. I look forward to reading your ongoing account.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go get'em Lisa!!! I hope the skies are blue and the weather is perfect for your climb!!!

    ReplyDelete